a la incredible Kittee, from the blog Cake Maker to the Stars
What You Need:
* A pre baked and cooled pie crust
* 1/4-1/3 tub Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
* Approximately 1 1/2 quarts of fresh strawberries (enough to fill an entire pie plate, plus an extra cup to mash), washed and with the hulls cut off. Cut the tops as straight as you can so the strawberries stand up easily in your pie plate.
* 1 cup unbleached granulated sugar
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1/2 cup water
What You Do:
1. Mash up enough strawberries to make one cup. Mash them really well, or throw them in your food processor and pulse them a bit, go slow so you don't end up with soup. I used an immersion blender and went well.
2. In a medium saucepan, blend together the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water and mashed berries.
3. Over medium high heat, cook stirring all the while until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce heat so you don't get splattered and keep stirring for one minute. Remove from heat and cool.
4. While the jam you made cools, stir the cream cheeze until soft, and spread it onto the bottom of the cooled pie crust.
5. Top the Tofutti with your strawberries, pointy side up. I started in the middle and worked my away around in circles. You will want to place them along the edges too. I found that putting the tallest in the center is best, because the jam is deepest there. You might have to rearrange them a bit to get it to look the way you want, but don't worry about making it look perfect since the jam covers up a lot and fills in any gaps (especially on the sides).
6. Pour the cooled jam evenly over the whole thing and refrigerate several hours until set.