Saturday, October 20, 2007

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cinnamon Icing

courtesy of Isa Chandra Moskowitz

1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup oil
1 c granulated sugar
1/4 cup soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. preheat oven to 350.

2. in a med. bowl, stir together pumpkin, oil, sugar, soy milk and vanilla. Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir together with a fork -- don't use a mixer, as it will make the batter gummy. Once well combined, fold in the chocolate chips.

3. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let fullly cool before icing.

CINNAMON ICING
1/2 c. confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 T. margarine, melted
1 T. soy milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Place sugar & cinn. in small bowl. Add margarine, soy milk & vanilla and stir with a fork until smooth. Keep at room temp until ready to use. THe mix should look opaque and honey brown; if it's glistening a lot or looks too liquid, add a little conf. sugar.


Put the icing in a small sandwich bag and cut a hole in it (or use a pastry bag). Pipe icing on in stripes or zigzags or swirls.

4 comments:

Amber Shea said...

Wow - your philosophy on veganism sounds quite similar to my own. I don't think I've ever encountered that. Bravo! I'm not alone after all :]

And thanks for posting this! You were the only listing in the Google search I did that posted the actual recipe. How'd they turn out?

-Amber
almostvegan.blogspot.com

Carol Perryman said...

Hi Amber, these are great cupcakes! I hope you try them and let me know what you thought. At this point I am 100% vegan - it just happened over the past year. I'm glad, too, when I see the price of things. If I happen to eat something non-vegan, though, I won't feel 'sinful' - it happens. We can't be totally, purely vegan - it's practically impossible!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting...Isa's middle name is "Chandra," though...

Carol Perryman said...

oops, anonymous! thanks for pointing that out. I corrected it.